Point Defiance: 100 Years and Beyond  
  The Series About Part 6 Part 5 Part 4 Part 3 Part 2 Part 1
  Park Interactives
Take our quiz and see how much of a Tacoma history buff you are.
Point Defiance Quiz

Park Discussion
Point Defiance Park is an essential part of living in Tacoma and the South Sound.
Share Your Memories

 
Hare & Hare report to park commissioners - 1911
100 years of change
  Pre-1905
U.S. fortress becomes a beloved people’s park

  Camera ERA PHOTO GALLERY:
For more Point Defiance photos from this particular era check out ... Pre-1905 Photo Gallery

Metro Parks Tacoma Archives
1900s: A postcard features elk grazing next to an animal shelter in the park's Bowl. The pens were removed to make way for formal gardens.
Long before they held title to the land, the people of Tacoma claimed Point Defiance as their own.

The federal government designated the natural fortress as a military reservation in 1866, at a time when the United States was trying to secure the shoreline of the young territory. As it turned out, the only occupying force would emerge from the ambitious young city on Commencement Bay.

Early Tacoma leaders lobbied for and won the right to use the government land as a park in 1888.

With the completion of a streetcar line from downtown, the people came and a park took shape.

A newly formed city park commission hired landscape gardener Ebenezer Roberts as its first superintendent and built a residence for him at Point Defiance. The Welshman’s vision of formal gardens, natural forest and rustic amenities shaped the early park, which was quite literally his back yard.

Numerous structures and attractions – a plant conservatory, the giant log bridge, a waterfront pavilion – sprouted in the park’s first two decades. All except Roberts’ lodge fell long ago to age, fire or development.

People came for many of the same reasons they do today – for escape, for recreation, for romance. But a trip by streetcar to the park was a more formal occasion.

Parkgoers would wear their Sunday best and feast on elaborate multicourse picnics. Some set up camp for the entire summer in the still-wild woods.

Tacomans loved the place from the start, but feared the landlord might take it back for a prison or other use.

After making the case for ownership, on March 3, 1905, the young city got its wish and got its park.



Metro Parks Tacoma Archives
1890s: Point Defiance visitors used the steamer Mockingbird to get to its beaches. The vessel was run by Edwin Ferris and Gage Wheeler, owners of the first waterfront development.

Tacoma Public Library
1899: The Tacoma Military Band poses for a picture July 8 after performing for visiting newspaper writers and their wives. At the time, Point Defiance Park wasn't owned by the city.
Metro Parks Tacoma Archives
1892: The construction of the Rustic Bridge provided a gateway from the developed areas of the park to the wild forested parts of Point Defiance. It spanned a gulch, and the series of smaller picturesque bridges underneath became known as Lovers Lane. More than 3,500 logs were used to build the bridge, which was about 250 feet long and 80 feet high. It was dismantled in 1933 and replaced with fill dirt.

For a more complete photo gallery of this era ... Pre-1905 Photo Gallery

 

TheNewsTribune.com
1950 South State Street, Tacoma, Washington 98405 253-597-8742
© Copyright 2005 Tacoma News, Inc. A subsidiary of The McClatchy Company